- Educate students and graduate PhD‘s which belong to the 10% best and 10% most wanted staff in Thailand
- Graduate students with a high theoretical and practical knowledge compared to the world-wide standards
- Having experience in the international communities of reserachers and practitionars
- Showing the right hard- and soft skills in their area of expertise
- @no additional costs.
Two Killer questions for most PhD-candidates
1 ) What is the scientific merrit, the news in your thesis?
2 ) How your work is related to similar reserach in your area
in the international community?
1 ) Limited language skilles
2 ) Missing journal publications (with SCOPUS/ISI indexing)
3 ) Poor theoretical foundations
KMUTNB and FernUniversität are strong partners since 2007!
—>See a strong need to change work of PhD students <—
Strong by cooperation and specialisationquestions
1 ) Limit the area of research to one field
(DataNetworks= DataMining+ Network/Communication),
in which we can be strong in the international area
2) More concentrated human ressources in a highly competitive area
3 ) International supervision, learning English by (daily) doing
4 ) Using support of TRF and DAAD to obtain finances
Being strong by real teamwork
1 ) More teamwork and communication among students supported by
modern tools (Wiki‘s, AdobeConnect)
2) More mutual discussion, critique and mutual support
3) Additional knowledge and supervision for everybody depending on
his/her needs; the contact point of FernUniverstät will support this idea
4) Build true passion and strong engagement for the research task, youwill be in.
Ph.D. in general
- Ph(ilosophiae) D(octor) means teacher of philosophy(licentia docendi).
- PhD is an academic degree obtainable by passing an examination.
- Whom does a PhD degree’s quality depend on?
- There is a wide spectrum of PhD “programmes” ranging from “taught PhDs” over “structured programmes” to solely research-based PhDs.
Ph.D. in Germany
- The classical German approach is research-based.
- There are no tuition fees.
- There are no restrictions relating to the research’s duration.
- Self-study is expected to make up for knowledge deficiencies.
- The research results obtained must advance science by an “epsilon”, which bears the risk to fail (mainly by giving up on the way).
- Classically, the research results are not published before the defence (as journal or conference contributions).
- The examination comprises presenting a thesis and defending it (usually a “rigorosum” is not required anymore).
- The thesis is usually published in form of a book
- What is the added value? Higher quality, prestige or is a just a fashion?
- Actually, more is obtained at almost the same effort.
- Regrettably, language requirements exist only in rare cases.
- Diplomas issued by two universities vs. a diploma issued by each university
- Two independent degrees issued by two universities in two countries require for each candidate an individual contract between both universities.
- Such contracts may be rather long and full of over-complicated, superfluous provisions.